- The Colorado River Historical Society, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The society incorporated in the state of Arizona on December 12, 1988, as the Colorado River Pioneer’s Historical Society, Inc. We are headquartered at the Colorado River Museum, 355 Highway 68, Bullhead City, one-half mile north of the Laughlin Bridge at Davis Camp.
- Our support is provided by membership fees; fundraising, including proceeds from our museum shop and periodic yard sales; donations from the public, and grants from such entities as the Arizona Historical Society.
- Our mission is to “promote interest in the early settlement of the Colorado River Area, to record traditions, collect and preserve journals, maps, pictures, artifacts and provide and maintain a suitable location to which they may be displayed for public interest.” By “Colorado River Area” or “Tri-State area,” we mean the communities and places surrounding the area where the borders of Arizona, Nevada, and California meet at the Colorado River.
We promote our mission by:
- Staffing, maintaining, and operating the Colorado River Museum in Bullhead City, Arizona;
- Collecting, preserving, and displaying artifacts, memorabilia, and historical information about places in the Tri-State area and people who have populated it;
- Holding monthly meetings or field trips during the months we are open (September-May);
- Participating in community activities and sponsoring events related to our mission;
- Staffing and operating the Lil’ Red Schoolhouse in Heritage Park under a contract with Bullhead City.
The museum building itself is an important historical landmark. The first Catholic church in Bullhead City, it was built in 1947 to serve the population of Davis Dam workers and their families.